Twilighters Anonymous Podcast Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Learn to speak Rob: american guide to british slang

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Learn to speak Rob: american guide to british slang Empty
PostSubject: Learn to speak Rob: american guide to british slang   Learn to speak Rob: american guide to british slang Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 9:01 pm

Honest to god, I have NO idea how I even came across this site or why it's in my favorites. It's likely the product of surfing the Internet at 2AM last night. Regardless, it's actually pretty, well, VERY interesting.
So, in case you ever plan to take a trip to London or you've ever been in my position and had no freaking idea what Rob said in an interview, this site should be helpful.

http://www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml
(Note: I'm not British so I have no idea how accurate this is)

Enjoy the site and be surprised. I was shocked at just how many things I've heard are actually rather dirty. Brits must LOVE saying these things around us because we have no idea...
I'm also terrified to speak should I ever visit London.

Now it makes more sense to me when Rob tells people he's not as chivalrous as we all seem to think he is.
Laughing
I love this website!

Last edited by Folklorn on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mrs_Edward_Cullen
Twi-Holic
Twi-Holic
Mrs_Edward_Cullen

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2008-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Learn to speak Rob: american guide to british slang   Learn to speak Rob: american guide to british slang Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 3:36 pm

Actually I love it ^^
I should be thankful , my uncle lives in Liverpool and there are some words I use a lot lol!
Back to top Go down
https://fr-fr.facebook.com/people/Sara-Krimou/685849482
AnnaIsTeamEmmett
Mod
Mod
AnnaIsTeamEmmett

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2008-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Learn to speak Rob: american guide to british slang   Learn to speak Rob: american guide to british slang Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 9:31 pm

That site is Ace!!! Very Happy lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.tapodcast.com
sparklingpixie1987
Twi-Holic
Twi-Holic
sparklingpixie1987

Number of posts : 542
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: LOL   Learn to speak Rob: american guide to british slang Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 10:08 pm

My co-worker and I looked at the website and about died! We wrote down words that we thought we funny and were using them in conversations with our other co-workers. We got the funniest looks. I think my favorite one is Brass-Monkey weather. *giggles* I used that site a lot when I was writing a story and one of my main characters was from england. Yay!
Back to top Go down
venomaddict
Twi-Holic
Twi-Holic
venomaddict

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Learn to speak Rob: american guide to british slang   Learn to speak Rob: american guide to british slang Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 11:21 pm

Being from Australia, I am actually not suprised at how many of those terms are used here. I think being so exposed to both British and American TV & Movies, it has changed the way people speak. But I would say I knew all but a few of those words/phrases. I must admit... the Brits are dirty, and I do love dirty Rob!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
mrs.carlisle.cullen13
Twi-Holic
Twi-Holic
mrs.carlisle.cullen13

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Learn to speak Rob: american guide to british slang   Learn to speak Rob: american guide to british slang Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 5:07 am

ohk.. being british, some of this is accurate enough, but 'pukka' just mad me laugh... who says that apart from Jamie Oliver?!?!?! And god forbid Rob ever says 'rumpy pumpy'!!!!! If he does, I don't think I will EVER recover from the laughter!!! I think they got some of this from the Ark! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learn to speak Rob: american guide to british slang   Learn to speak Rob: american guide to british slang Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 12:04 pm

mrs.carlisle.cullen13 wrote:
ohk.. being british, some of this is accurate enough, but 'pukka' just mad me laugh... who says that apart from Jamie Oliver?!?!?! And god forbid Rob ever says 'rumpy pumpy'!!!!! If he does, I don't think I will EVER recover from the laughter!!! I think they got some of this from the Ark! lol!
I had some serious giggle fits with this site. While I was reading through it I had a feeling a lot of the terms are dated and otherwise not used for obvious reasons. Like you said, if Rob said half of this stuff I'd laugh myself to death. Thank god we have someone legit to set us all straight. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Learn to speak Rob: american guide to british slang   Learn to speak Rob: american guide to british slang Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Learn to speak Rob: american guide to british slang
Page 1 of 1