Twilighters Anonymous Podcast Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Literary World

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
QuoteGirl
Twi-Holic
Twi-Holic
QuoteGirl

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2009-04-09

The Literary World Empty
PostSubject: The Literary World   The Literary World Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 3:44 pm

Today I was in the library and came across a shelf that had a bunch of my favorite books. Looking For Alaska, Deathly Hallows, My Sister's Keeper..... and New Moon. There was caution tape around it and a sign that said Banned or Questioned Books.

Do you think that New Moon, or any of the Twilight books should be banned or questioned? (Kind of like the whole Religion thing with Harry Potter)

And....

Do you think that the Twilight Saga should be taught in schools? (Mine had Twilight as an option for summer reading.)
Back to top Go down
multifandomfreak
Twi-Holic
Twi-Holic
multifandomfreak

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-05-05

The Literary World Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Literary World   The Literary World Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 5:38 pm

Oi yoyoy, people are INSANE! I have read all of those, except My Sister's Keeper. THERE. IS. NOTHING. WRONG. WITH. THEM. If the people are not ready to read them, LET THEM FIND IT OUT ON THEIR OWWWWWWWN!!!!!!!!!!!!! I *hate* books being banned, and these all seem ridiculous. Twilight can be taught in schools, also. If people don't want to hear it, let them get the F. This is just. . . For lack of better term because of anger, OY WITH THE POODLES ALREADY!!!! Yeah I just made a Gilmore Girls reference. Deal. Okay, I'm done now.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/thenextCULLEN
Dazzled_By_Edward
Twi-Holic
Twi-Holic
Dazzled_By_Edward

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2009-04-16

The Literary World Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Literary World   The Literary World Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 6:39 pm

I totally got the GG reference. It made me lol. But I agree, it shouldn't be banned. I can understand for some private schools I guess, though I wouldn't encourage it. People are insane....
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/CoffeeFashion
Ellie
Twi-Holic
Twi-Holic

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-06-22

The Literary World Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Literary World   The Literary World Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 12:06 am

Oy with the poodles indeed!
('I am kayak, hear me roar' has gotten me through some really tough days...)

I think that when people try to ban books, they are simply hiding from their own personal fears. Fears about what they think a book will make people feel or do or think...but very rarely what the book is really about. I also think that parents who don't allow their kids to read certain books often miss a great opportunity to bond with their kids, teach them something, talk about life, etc.

I can't for the life of me understand why people think that Twilight should be banned. Stephenie created such a rich mythology and combined it with one of the greatest love stories of all time. Would it have been "better" and "more suitable" for the high school reading list if Bella and Edward had committed suicide? How is it that Romeo and Juliet isn't questioned when Twilight is?

I never understand the issue with Harry Potter either (though I am not as familiar with those books). If a story about a boy wizard and his teen years can shake someone's religious foundation, I'm guessing there where issues with the strength of that person's faith to begin with.
Back to top Go down
QuoteGirl
Twi-Holic
Twi-Holic
QuoteGirl

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2009-04-09

The Literary World Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Literary World   The Literary World Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 2:34 pm

I think that I need to point out, I see I failed to originally, sorry! That there was also a sign promoting Banned Books Week (this week) and how we should have freedom to read what we like.

I completely agree with what all of you are saying (except the Gilmore Girls thing, I have never seen that) and that books are meant to be read, not banned.
Back to top Go down
Ellie
Twi-Holic
Twi-Holic

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-06-22

The Literary World Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Literary World   The Literary World Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 10:17 pm

kind of off topic--but Gilmore Girls reruns are on ABC Family twice a day and on SoapNet on the weekends--you should check it out if you have time. ; )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Literary World Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Literary World   The Literary World Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Literary World
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Twilighters Anonymous Podcast Forum :: Podcast Features :: Fan Questions-
Jump to: